Welcoming Gainesville is excited to partner with Ignite Applied Theatre to offer a unique opportunity to have fun and to express yourself in a new way through improvisational theater with a social impact. The aim of this one-time workshop is to give you a taste of how theater and the arts can help create more inclusive communities and foster understanding and collaboration within diverse groups of people.
October 1 from 10 am to 12.30 pm at the Downtown Library in Meeting Room B
October 8 from 1 pm to 3.30 pm at the Emmanuel Mennonite Church
Our future work with Ignite Applied Theatre will bring stories of newcomers such as immigrants, international students and refugees to life through regular Playback Theatre performances and other community events and programs.
At this first workshop you will be invited to:
- Participate in a fun and gentle warm up of your voice, self-expression, imagination, senses, and ability to listen to others,
- Experience community in a simple yet very real way
- Learn and practice one basic Playback Theater (improv) form.
- Feel deeply seen and heard after someone plays back your story (sharing is always optional).
IS THIS KIND OF THEATER WORKSHOP FOR YOU?
The answer is very likely YES, if you are…
- A total beginner who has never even seen Playback Theater but you are intrigued by the idea and wish to dip your toes in by trying out some basics
- Looking for FUN and CREATIVE ways to meet and connect more truly and deeply with people
- Looking for a different and more active way to share your story and to actively tell your neighbor’s story
- Interested in possibly becoming part of a new and on-going playback troupe focused on community outreach and engagement within our community
If you are interested, sign up here!